Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Shawn Hansen's Comedy Corner with Mitch Fatel

Shawn Hansen's Comedy Corner with Mitch Fatel


Performing on stage for the first time at the age of 15, comedian Mitch Fatel reflects about his early career in the en- tertainment industry. He reminisces about dressing up in Incredible Hulk pajamas, telling everyone in the crowd he had to leave early because he has school in the morning.

On Sept. 11, Fatel will be coming to The Wilbur Theatre at 246 Tremont Street in Boston, and will be performing there for the first time since last year.


Appearing for the first time in front of an audience, Fatel was at the Comic Strip, and felt it was unique to have a young kid on stage.


“It was a really excited moment for me to go on stage, and I was always very nervous, but the audience was very happy to see a young kid try something new,” said Fatel.


When his comedy club teacher booked the gig at the Holiday Inn, Fatel hit the stage for his first time performing in front of a bunch of businessmen during happy hour.


“I started getting booed, and said, ‘One day you guys are going to be sorry you’re booing me because I’m going to be famous, and you’re going to have to pay to see me,” said Fatel.


Born in Manhattan, raised in Yonkers, NY, Fatel feels he didn’t move to Los An- geles because he loves his home state.


“I’m such an East coast fan,” said Fatel. “I feel so comfy here, and I was always able to make a living in comedy

not having to live in L.A., so I kind of set down roots here. I probably should be out in L.A., but I just can’t leave New York, I just love it so much.”

Even though 35-year old Fatel first took the stage at the age of 15, he doesn’t consider being a comedian for 20 years.


“I always have a problem with anybody saying that they are something, and they don’t make a living at it,” said Fatel. “I always thought that it’s so easy for people to say there a comic just because they have been on stage. I say, no that’s not what you do, you’re not a comic. In my mind, I never considered myself a comic until I was making a living at it.”


Fatel said that people, who want to be comedians, shouldn’t consider themselves to be in the industry until they make it big.


“I always took pride in that, and never considered myself a comedian until I got my first paycheck ever, and started paying the bills. I was a waiter for many years, and then in 1996, I went to the Montreal Comedy Festival, and I got a $150K holding deal with Disney, and went from someone who is making $350 a week to somebody who suddenly has a check for $150K. I think that’s when I finally con- sidered myself a comedian.”


In Fatel’s shows, he starts off say- ing his name, and that he is very funny. Reflecting on his teenage years, Fatel remembers going to a comedy show with his parents, and hearing someone reading off a list of names. ‘Hey everybody, how’s everybody doing, how’s everybody feel- ing, you having a good time?’ I thought to myself, I’ve seen that so many times, and I thought how different and unique, and

weird would it be if a guy just walked up and said, ‘Hi, I’m very funny,”’ said Fatel.


On stage, he will talk about hobbies, and topics that are clean so everybody can bring their parents.


Recently, Fatel had an audition for a Doritos radio commercial.


“I should be able to get it because I do actually really love Doritos, so I didn’t have to act like I was faking it,” said Fatel. “It’s just so crunchy.”


For more information about Fatel, go to http://www.mitchfatel.com/. He will be at the Comedy Connection in Chicopee on Sept. 10, and The Wilbur Theatre on Sept. 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment