Friday, January 8, 2010

SHCC remembers Kevin Knox

By Shawn Hansen, The Valley Patriot

Published January 2010

Taken from this life too early due to the horrific dis- ease of cancer, Kevin Knox was known as “The Wild Man of Comedy.”

Known to many as “Knoxie” a number of co- medians who were close to Knox shared their stories of a legend that will be remem- bered forever.

Bob Seibel said he met Knox in the ‘80s, and took in a positive vibe from him right when they met. “I loved him dearly,” said Seibel. “He was one of the friendliest, honest, sincere gentlemen I have ever met, and I mean gentle man.”

Johnny Pizzi reminisced on how Knox was always there no matter what. He said, “Whenever I needed to do a benefit, fund- raiser, whenever somebody came to me asking for help, Kevin was always there. He never said no.”

Bringing up subjects other then comedy, Artie Januario said they would talk about Guatemalans, the Mayan civilization, and Eskimos. “These are the things people don’t usually talk about, but Kevin knew a lot about a lot of stuff,” said Januario.

Telling a story about Knox, Jimmy Dunn looks back at the first time they met talking about golf. He said for his first show on the road, “I get sent out to open for Kevin Knox in Springfield. He calls me and said, ‘Pick me up, and don’t forget your golf clubs.”

Dunn said that Knox loved golf, and was phenomenal on the stage with energy that he hadn’t seen before.

Paul D’Angelo remembers his friend as a great comedian and person to be around. “I have respect for him as a performer, a friend, and a person for being so brave in the face of adversity.”

Greg Boggis reflected on Knox as a co- median who was memorable to see because he had a larger then life persona. “He al- ways made things fun. There are headliners that you love to work with, and he was one

of them. He didn’t care how you introduced him. He al- ways said, ‘Just do the show, I don’t care how you bring me up, just bring me up.”’

Ed Regal said he was one of the best comedians out there. He said Knox would have nicknames for different places, and referred to him- self as the “Knox man.” He would perform shows in Las

Vegas telling people, “Welcome to Knox Vegas. This is my town.”

Regal said, “Every time you were with Kevin Knox, you felt good about yourself.”

Explaining how generous Knox was, Ira Proctor looked back to when he first started comedy talking about trying out for Mike Clarke. Having close to nothing on his re- sume, Clarke asked Knox about Proctor. “I didn’t even think he saw my act, and Kevin said, ‘He’s great, he’s great, you gotta use him,” said Proctor. In a state of shock, Proctor asked why he would do that. “He said, ‘that doesn’t matter kid, you’re going to have enough obstacles. If I can get you through the door, I want to do it.”’

Lenny Clarke said Knox started out as a fan going to shows every week. “One day, I said to him do you want to give this a try? He said, ‘I’d love to, but I don’t have the nerve.’ I said, well I gotta take a break, you’re up next.’”

Starting from Lenny taking a bathroom break from his act, Knox continued to go back every week and perform.

In 2004, Knox played “Chuck” in an episode of Rescue Me titled, “Leaving.”

Lenny said when talking to Denis Leary, Leary told him he would like to give Knox a spot on the show because he did such a wonderful job at Comics Come Home.

In the episode, “Kevin, Kenny Rogerson, and Tony V all did this thing where they were firemen from Fitchburg that came to the firehouse, and they ended up burning it to the ground,” said Lenny.

There will be another tribute to Knox in the February edition of The Valley Patriot.

No comments:

Post a Comment